11 months: Final Follow-up

Went in for my final follow-up yesterday. I'm seeing 20/20 in my right eye still and 20/30 in my left eye. Again, I was offered corrective laser surgery to make it all 20/20, but together, I'm already seeing 20/20! Obviously I declined. I am still thinking about getting a second corneal tattoo - but the chances of actually following through are very minimal. My vision isn't perfect, but it's good. And compared to glasses: the full life experience has been fantastic. I continue to travel the world, live abroad and relish every moment being glasses free. Things are good - I just need to keep following up with my regular optometrist and hope none of the risks identified actually happen to me in the long-term. They measured the pressure in my eye (good) and also measured the distance between the ICL and my natural lens one final time - if anything doesn't look good (not enough space), they will give me a call. Otherwise, I'm done!

That's all folks. Thanks for reading. I will try to update this blog and give future check ins. Best of luck to all of you who have chosen to go through with the ICL. I hope your experience is as good - or even better - than mine.

Cheers and happy holidays!

Comments

  1. Best of luck, please keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I have the option of getting a procedure called AQUA ICL, where the iridotomy isn't needed because the holes for letting the fluid pass are ON the contact. Which seems great in theory but it's only been on the market for 5 months in South Korea.

    If you had the option, would you get the new procedure? It's the same steps and material base as the ICL lens but the contact has three holes to help with the flow of fluid.

    I have blue eyes (and big?-ish), and because I'm an American expat in Korea that's rare, they say that there can be some mild discomfort because the laser can be less effective. I haven't found any hard evidence (beside their mentioning) but did you come across any material that talked about iris color affecting the iridotomy?

    If you had the option to get the AQUA ICL procedure, even though it's only been on the market for 5 months, with apparent resounding success, would you get it? Are the 'white lines' that annoying? With AQUA ICL I would only go in to get contacts inserted. So there's a potential of having two less procedures (taking tattoo out of the equation as well.) Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katelyn: If you scroll back to my original post, I note that some countries in Europe also have this lens too. I am not a doctor and cannot recommend what you should or shouldn't do.

    I think not having to do the iridotomy is obviously great! But you're right to be cautious of such a new product without much evidence/testing to go on. The only other caution I thought of was that if you were to ever get narrow angle glaucoma in the future, you would have to get an iridotomy anyway -- and i'm not sure how that would work if you have ICLs inserted (would you have to remove them)? Having iridotomies done pre-empts the possibility of getting narrow angle glaucoma, but you have the risk of the lines.

    I have written extensively about my experience with the glare so you can see how I feel about it throughout my blog. It really depends on the person's prior vision quality and how much it ends up affecting you depending on the placement of the holes. It seems like everyone has a different experience depending on the myriad of personal factors.

    I did not do much research into eye colour, since I have dark brown/black eyes, so even if the holes were large, you would not be able to see them (lucky me?). Check out some of the blogs i've linked to on the side of my main page--I think lighter eyes may have more of a pronounced visual effect - but I didn't do any research into this!

    Best of luck in your decision! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3+ year update: narrowing vault/space in left eye :(

It has been decided: Iridotomy